Meeting at University of Stuttgart, Germany
From the meetingLink to documents
Time and Place
Friday, November 7
1:00pm - 4:00pm
University of Stuttgart,
Universitaetsstr. 38 (Computer Science Building), Room 2.013, 70569 Stuttgart.
- Main topic: Multicore/Manycore curriculum development.
- Invited Talk
Many Core Programmers: What Do Employers Want?
This two part presentation focuses first on answering the question: "What skills do employers in the 21st century expect from job candidates?" These answers will be given within the context of a brief survey of the training materials currently available for download and use on the Intel Software College Wiki.
- Survey presentation: How universities around the world address parallelism / Multicore (20 min)
Summary of main goals:
The meeting is aimed at discussing and developing proposals for the integration of parallelism / Multicore / Manycore topics into university curricula. Researchers as well as practitioners are invited to participate and share their views. For comparison, we'll present a survey on how top universities around the world address these topics. The results of the discussion will be summariezed and published as a reference document on our Web site.
If you want to propose a discussion topic for this or future meetings, please send an email to Victor Pankratius
How to get there
The campus is in a suburb called Vaihingen (do not use this name unfiltered for navigation; you'll end up in the wrong place, since there is a town by the same name about 40 miles away; likewise do not get confused by a second campus downtown very close to the train station).
If you arrive by car, see http://www.iste.uni-stuttgart.de/WegweiserISTE.pdf (in German, but self-explanatory.)
Links: Plan of Railway System Journey Planner
There is near-perfect metro ("S-Bahn", big green "S"-signs) connection to downtown, airport, train station, etc, 12-15 minutes to all these places. The metro station is called University (Universität). One way tickets range from 2,35 to maybe 3,80 Euro. Renting a car is a waste of money, unless you want to tour the surrounding area.
If you arrive by train at Stuttgart Hbf: the metro (S-Bahn) station is on the right side (by train arrival direction) of the train station. Take any train on the S1, S2 or S3 line (directions Vaihingen, Airport, Boeblingen or Herrenberg) to "Universitaet".
Links: Overview of Railway System
Closest airport is STR (Stuttgart). The meeting place is a 15 minutes metro-ride from the airport, any train towards the city; get off at University (the first stop after the train goes seriously underground.).
Universitaetsstr. 34 Phone: +49+711-68 63 40 60 Fax: +49+711-68 63 48 98 E-Mail: email@example.com Single room per night: Euro 52 (weekend), Euro 73 (week) including breakfast
- The hotel is 50 yards from the meeting place and as such ideal. It is 125 yards from the subway station; take the front subway exit, coming from the airport. The hotel is at the other end of the green mall that you emerge to from the station. It is a conference hotel; the rooms are ok, not fancy.
- Make your reservation as soon as possible; rooms disappear quickly. (On occasion, you may have to prompt them before they send a confirmation.) I certainly recommend this hotel above all. Use the others if this one is full.
- Mercure Fontana
Vollmoellerstr. 5 70563 Stuttgart Phone: +49+711- 730-0 Fax: +49+711 730-2525 Special rates for Stuttgart University Single room Euro 89 (weekend), Euro 119 (week) excluding breakfast
- A bit more fancy as hotels go. Two subway stops away from the university.
- The rates are very special. To get them, reservations have to be made in writing (fax) by the University Stuttgart. To make this happen, send e-mail to the secretary of Prof. Ploedereder firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robert-Leicht-Str. 93 Phone: +49+711-687 880 Fax: +49+711-678 88 60 E-Mail: email@example.com Availability: standard single rooms, Euro 78/night, including breakfast small single rooms, Euro 68/night, including breakfast These are special rates for University of Stuttgart; therefore, you need to mention that name in your reservation.
- This is a small, typical Swabian hotel, standard issue, approx 750 yards away from the meeting place. There is a bus connection, in case it rains. Good food.
Other Attractions in Stuttgart
Tourist attractions: Black Forest (begins a few miles out of town); Mercedes Museum (in town; truly worthwhile, takes half a day); pretty good museums, opera, etc.